Unit 2.1 Song of the Open Road textual activity.

 Poetry : Section Two

2.1 Song of the open Road

BRAINSTORMING

(A1) (i) Pick out the lines showing that the poet is prepared to enjoy every moment

of his journey.

Ans: The following lines shows that the poet is prepared to enjoy every moment

of his journey.

Afoot, lighthearted----

Healthy free----

“Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune. “

Strong & content i-------

(ii) By ‘old delicious burdens’ the poet means-

(a) the luggage

(b) the food he carries

(c) the stress he bears during the travels

(d) sweet memories of the past

Ans: (d) sweet memories of the past

(iii) The poet is a person who is free from all inhibitions. Discuss how the concept of ‘freedom’ is expressed in the poem.

Ans :  The poet expressed the concept of freedom in this poem. He wants to go on voyage without destination. He wants to on an unending journey. He wants to be free from indoor complaints and criticism.

(A2) (i) Following are the activities of the poet related to his journey on the road.

Divide them into two parts as ‘activities the poet will practise’ and‘activities he will not practise’.

(a) Walking along the road though he does not know where it reaches: YES

(b) Complaining about the discomforts during the journey: NO

(c) Postponing the journey: NO

(d) Praying for good fortune:NO

(e) Carrying the fond memories of the good people: YES

(f) Creating contacts with famous and influential people: NO

(g) Striving to achieve high and bright success: NO 

(h) Reflecting and developing his own ‘self’: YES


(ii) Write down the traits the poet exhibit through following lines. One is done for you.

(a) Henceforth, I ask for no good fortune-I myself am good fortune :   Self-confidence

(b) Henceforth, I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing- Self – satisfaction 

(c) I do not want the constellations any nearer- Competent 

(d) I swear it is impossible for me to get rid of them- Kinship

(e) I am filled with them – I will fill them in return- Gratitude 

(iii) 'Healthy, free, the world before me'.

Express your views regarding the above line.

Ans: The poet is of the opinion that the world is healthy attracting him. He wants to be free from all bonds and travel the world.

(A3) The poet has used many describing words such as 'healthy' in this poem.

Make a list and classify them as -

(a) For the world: healthy, free

(b) For himself: light hearted, strong, content

(c) For the road: open, brown, long

(A4) (i) Read the expression ‘old delicious burdens.’ A burden cannot be delicious.

The expression contains opposite ideas that make it seem absurd or unlikely, although it may be true. This is called ‘Paradox.’

(ii) The road in the poem does not mean only the road to travel. The poet wants to suggest the road of life. Explain the metaphor with the help of the poem.

Ans: The poet wants to lead the life without hoping any fortune, assistance and complain. He is strong and content enough to lead his own life in his way.

 (iv) There are certain words that are repeated in the poem.

For example, ‘no more’

Find out other similar expressions. Explain the effect they have created in the poem.

good-fortune, the open road, carry them

The repetition of such words added musical effect in the poem and turned the poem into a song to be sung with a particular instrument. It also stressed the idea the poet wants to assert.

(v) The use of personal pronoun 'I' is evident and prominent in this poem.

Give reasons.

The poem is autobiographical where in the poet has shared his experience hence the personal pronoun is evident.

A5.(ii) Poetic Creativity on 'The Road that leads to my College' in free verse of 4-6 lines

The road that leads to my college is smooth,

As there exists knowledge.

It makes me wise and intelligent

and helps me face the world.

I love to travel on this path

For I believe that my future is secure.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oral Exam pattern.

Summary of The Rising of The Moon

Character of ragged man from ' The Rising of the Moon'